Sr. Scientist-Entomology Programs
Sr. Scientist-Entomology Programs
Disclaimer: Please note, if you are selected to have an interview with Thermacell, you will receive an email from our applicant tracking system Paylocity (firstname.lastname@example.org) or an email from a Thermacell.net domain. Be aware of phishing emails/text messages. Thermacell will never text or Skype you about your candidacy or personal confidential information. If you are unsure, please contact email@example.com.
Thermacell Repellents, Inc. (TRI) is a privately held company with a mission to liberate people who love the outdoors from the harmful effects of insects. Founded in 1999 and based outside of Boston in Bedford, Massachusetts, Thermacell makes the world’s leading spatial mosquito repellent and targeted tick control solutions. Dedicated to delivering the best consumer experience, we have an ever-expanding product line for both adventure and home use. We aim to change the way people repel insects, and through disruptive innovation, strong distribution across multiple retail channels, and a global footprint, our base of users is growing rapidly.
TRI currently employs 125+ full time employees at our 4 locations Bedford Massachusetts (Corporate HQ), Buford Georgia (Manufacturing & Distribution) Hampton, FL (Science & Research Center).
Thermacell is committed to preserving a culture of diversity, inclusion, and belonging. The collective sum of our individual differences, knowledge, life experiences, and unique talents represents a significant part of our culture and is the foundation for our accomplishments and impact. We strive to create a supportive community where we all can show up as our authentic selves and are confident and comfortable to be genuine with our teammates in our day-to-day work environment. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law.
TRI CORE VALUES:
• Drive – An optimistic can-do spirit, a passion to delight our consumer, a belief in the importance of determination and the freedom to make a difference.
• Ownership – We are empowered to take accountability for our contributions and desire to do the highest quality work with responsible urgency to drive business results.
• Integrity – We will always do the right thing guided by truth and sincerity. We exercise constructive candor and have the willingness to challenge and be challenged in all interactions.
• Teamwork – The belief that we is greater than me, and with collective brainpower we are better together. We are a community of compassionate support and collective success. We win as one and play hard in celebration together.
• Evolution – We are committed to continuous improvement, always learning, growing, and adapting to constant change. We seek progress over perfection.
WORKING HOURS: Typically, between 9-5pm M-F (Weekend and evening availability as needed)
WORK LOCATION: Hampton, FL (~20 miles from Gainesville, FL and ~70 miles from Jacksonville, FL)
Thermacell is seeking a highly motivated senior scientist as part of the Science and Research team to advance product innovation and validate product regulatory requirements at our new facility in Hampton, Florida. This position will report to the Science Manager and be responsible for the daily supervision of a Biological Technician in laboratory and field/outdoor settings.
What Success Looks Like:
A successful employee assimilates to our company culture quickly, takes pride in ownership, and demonstrates technical expertise across all areas of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In this role, you’ll get to:
• Oversee all technical aspects of Thermacell’s entomology program.
• Develop and conduct Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP laboratory, semi-field, and field studies that accurately assess mosquito repellent performance.
• Use knowledge of ongoing academic, industry, and government research to innovate new technologies and product concepts that meet Thermacell’s safety and sustainability goals.
• Be a spatial repellent expert by ensuring that all formulations and products have a full complement of supporting data to share with internal and external stakeholders globally.
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including engineering, product development, marketing, and regulatory affairs to ensure successful product launches and sales.
• Manage logistics to support laboratory and field requirements, to include planning travel, obtaining necessary permits, and organizing necessary equipment.
• Represent the company at scientific conferences and industry events and contribute to the development of technical publications and presentations.
• Maintain an orderly laboratory and safe workspace.
• Ensure compliance with laboratory and facility safety programs.
• Mentor and guide junior team members.
• Assist in other duties as assigned to support the laboratory and global business.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
● Is bright, personable, highly ethical, and thrives in a collaborate environment.
● Is self-driven yet team oriented.
● Is organized and able to manage multiple priorities, working under pressure to meet deadlines.
● Can anticipate data needs to support existing products and new product applications.
● Maintains and delivers timely, accurate reports to support the global business.
● Has excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to convey complex scientific concepts to a diverse audience.
● Shows STRONG attention to detail and accuracy.
● Is a highly resourceful problem solver that is not discouraged by creative troubleshooting.
● Has a relentless work ethic and a desire for learning.
● Has proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion and maturity.
● Believes safety is paramount.
• Doctor of Philosophy degree in biology (or related field) required, entomology major preferred.
• Strong background in spatial repellent technologies, insect behavior, and vector control/surveillance strategies.
• Minimum 5-years’ experience in research and development assessing the performance of products containing bioactive ingredients.
• Proven ability to develop laboratory procedures and protocols; GLP experience is preferred.
• Proficient in research methodologies and experimental design to include high confidence in statistical analysis and data interpretation.
• Familiarity and proficiency with standard entomology and laboratory equipment and insect/mosquito rearing.
• Ability to confidently handle and classify entomological specimens using established identification keys.
• Proven ability to plan, organize, problem solve, and coordinate multiple tasks.
• Proven ability to document accurate data in official laboratory records and report findings in technical publications.
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time (4 or more hours), conduct repetitive laboratory tasks, and routinely lift/carry field equipment.
• Comfortable using Microsoft Office 365 and JMP or other statistical software.
Compensation for this position will include a competitive base salary and an annual incentive bonus program-details proved separately. Benefits for this position will consist of vacation benefits at a competitive level & 10 paid company holidays. Additionally, a company shut-down period is offered for one week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
We are proud to offer a competitive & valuable benefits package that enables you to protect your health, your family, and your way of life. It includes best-in-class medical & dental insurance where Thermacell pays for 82.5% of the premiums; Thermacell also pays for the first half of your medical deductible through our Health Reimbursement Account. Long & Short-term Disability & Group Term Life insurance (one-time base salary plus bonus up to max) is also available at no cost to you. Forty hours of sick time is also available on your first day of employment.
Additionally, you will have access to a variety of additional benefits such as vision, supplemental life, critical illness, Medical FSA, Dependent Care FSA, accident, SecureSave savings account, EAP, product benefit, wellness benefit, and pet insurance for your furry family members! You can find all the details and additional discounts in our benefits guide.
You may start contributing to our 401k after completing 30 days of service (enrolling on the first of the following month). You will be eligible for the employer match up to 4% (base salary + overtime wages - subject to the IRS legal limit) after completing one year of service.
WHY WORK HERE?
Fun and casual environment. Disruptive fast-growth company. Thermacell is a consumer products company with a mission to liberate people who love the outdoors from the harmful effects of insects. Thermacell provides zone mosquito protection that keeps mosquitoes up to 15 ft away, stopping them before they can bother or bite you. Thermacell zone repellent technology eliminates the need for messy lotions or sprays, so you and your family are free to enjoy the outdoors, without worrying about mosquitoes or the harm they may cause.
Awards given to Thermacell include: Popular Mechanics - Grand Award Winner - Recreation - Best of What's New 2018 New York Times Wirecutter - The Best Mosquito Control Gear for Your Patio or Yard Outside Magazine - Best Car Camping Gear 2018 Backpacker Magazine - Best Backpacking Accessory 2019 Field & Stream “Best of the Best” Award - Good Housekeeping Research Institute #1 Tabletop Mosquito Repellent – LIV Smart Mosquito Repellent System - CES TWICE Awards 2022-2021 - Canadian Tire Digital Excellence Award – CES New Tech Award – IDEA Good Design Award – Good Housekeeping Home Products Award - This Old House Editor’s Choice – Time Magazine Best Inventions 2022
Thermacell products can be found at fine retailers throughout North America, Europe, Australia and in over 30 countries around the world. Examples of our retail partners include Bauhaus, OBI, ICA, Bunnings, Coop, Walmart, Amazon, REI, Bass Pro Shops, Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, Dick's Sporting Goods, Academy Sports, Target Stores, CVS, Costco, Sam's Club and Bed Bath & Beyond.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Doctoral
Experience Level : Entry Level, Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Development
Please include your Contact Info : Jeff Hertz